The school has been in existence since 1832 and was previously located in nearby School Road. It moved into the present purpose-built premises in 1965. The academy opened in January 2013 and is sponsored by the outstanding Tudor Grange Academy, Solihull.
The premises comprise a hall with stage, entrance hall, eight classrooms with adjoining cloakrooms, a music/drama room, group teaching room, library, language area, food technology room, medical room, administration area and wraparound provision for all pupils.
Mobile technology available for all pupils within their classrooms. All areas of the academy have wireless broadband access. The academy is also equipped with interactive whiteboards and display projectors in all classrooms and the hall.
There are two adjoining playgrounds featuring seating areas, play apparatus and extensive playing fields.